Saturday 18 July 2015

Policy Ponderings

It may be summertime but I've had teaching on my mind a lot lately. Not so much the 'what' of teaching, more the 'how'. I spent a week at an enrichment camp for kids. I was leading a couple of technology programs for children from Grade 1 - 6. All of the camp leaders were teachers, some OT's and a few retirees. At lunches and breaks we talked school. I followed this with a 3 day technology session in Simcoe County surrounded by teachers from different boards. After the inevitable, 'What is your role in education?' conversation, most of the discussions centred around 'how' questions. 'How do you integrate technology?
http://goo.gl/IUIso9
How do you connect it to curriculum? How do you ensure students use it safely? How do you assess learning? How do you use it to assess learning?' After a few days of addressing these common concerns, I asked the group if I could pose a few questions to them. They were willing. I surveyed the crowd, met with a few individually, and had some interesting results. I asked about technology policies and guidelines in their teaching environments. I asked about what is available and what they use. My survey group consisted of teachers from Waterloo Region and the boards between Toronto and Sudbury including Prince Edward-Hastings, a total of 10 boards, 50 teachers. I thought there would be more inconsistency in the results. All of them lamented over the lack of Professional Development offered in their districts. Many commented about how the technology just 'arrives' and they are expected to figure it out, logistically, technically and pedagogically. Most had access to iPads at their school or had a small set in their rooms. Many teachers had a device 'assigned' to them but very few were aware of or could summarize the policies of their board. Many had a contact person to call if they needed a password or wanted software or an app added. The only piece of hardware that teachers were given any guidelines about were cellphones. All knew whether they were allowed or not. Most schools were very strict, others had exceptions for junior aged students. Within boards it seemed to depend on the administrator of the school. "I'm lucky, I have a principal who supports technology." was said by a few. They were all very interested to see the BYOD parent letter that I use at my school. I wasn't going to ask how many used their own devices in the classroom but they were willing to answer. It was over 80%.
Even though they were generally aware that their boards and the ETFO union strongly advises them not to use them at school, teachers do. I asked a few individuals about this. They said 'I know how to use my own personal device, no one has taken the time to show me how to use the board stuff, they just say here you go and wait for me to say thank you.' Eventually my large group survey led to deep concerns about their safety and the safety of students online. Every teacher wants to do the right thing, but they all want/need someone to guide them. Every teacher in the room wanted to use technology more, all want/need more PD. I was there to give them some 'whats' to do with iPads. I know now that technology leaders need to include more connections to the 'hows' involving policy. Much thanks to my new friends who were willing to give up some time in July to try and wade through this wonderful field of technology in the classroom with me.



3 comments:

  1. I think your last paragraph raise a good point and it is part of the mind of all teachers -safety of the children on line . This summer we were supposed to have a Google camp for all teachers unfortunately it has been cancelled due to the working issue with the school Boards and teachers. I think it will be an issue for teachers for learning new technology, always going to be behind. As teacher we need to be proactive .Policy making in regards to technology is very interesting because it fluctuate from board to board and school to school. If it was a policy it will be enforced, these policies are rather guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your distinctions about policy and guideline are very true. The parent letter I send home is a guideline that my school creates and is not policy.

      Delete
  2. Great post Trish! While I push the use of technology in schools as well as using alternative methods to engage learners, I am also often reluctant to encourage teachers to use tools that they themselves are not familiar with. Social Media, collaborative online tools, gaming and communications are incredible, but if not used properly, as we know, can lead to disastrous situations for teacher and students. I wonder when the day will come when it will be mandatory for teachers to be trained or given PD, similar to this course. Not an extra, but as part of regular PD!?

    ReplyDelete